Tarkov is Pay to Win
Is Escape from Tarkov Pay-to-Win?
Note: This was posted and quickly deleted on reddit by BSG-loyal fan moderators in an attempt to censor this blog. The Reddit moderators are directly controlled by BSG and censor any deviating opinion on the game. At the same time, posts defending EFT against P2W complains are allowed on reddit.
There has been recent controversy on whether EFT is P2W. Let's determine first what Pay-to-Win means.
By paying extra, a player gets an advantage ingame over players who do not pay extra.
Let's see if that applies to EFT.
Any edition beyond the standard edition offers more starting resources and weapons, and more significicantly, a larger stash.
- Standard edition: 10x23
- Left Behind edition: 10x33
- Prepare to Escape edition: 10x43
- Edge of Darkness edition 10x63
A larger stash improves your success in EFT for many reasons:
More space for
- Armor vests
- Load-Bearing vests
The counter-argument is that the same advantage can be achieved by simply playing the game and unlocking better stashes on the way. But that option does not exist right now.
- The supposed Hideout feature is planned to have the functionality to upgrade your stash. Why is that not here yet? It was announced in August on Gamescom. The timeframe was given from "perhaps next month or until the end of the year".
- The only way to get your stash increased is to buy a better version. Stash increase is requested by players all the time. But it is hidden behind the Hideout feature and there surely is a convenient explanation by the developers that will explain why that feature is going to require more time.
- Think about it, the largest stash for EOD buyers was immediately available in the early alpha, but any possibility to increase the stash is not there yet, but the P2W option is. They could have quickly hacked in some quest that increases the stash as a placeholder until Hideout. Or delay the EOD bonus until the Hideout was available.
- At the same time, the EOD edition is still fraudulently available despite it being announced as very time-limited ("only until the alpha ends.") Alpha official ended in July 2017. EOD is still being sold.
This is wonderfully explained in this reddit article: [Link]
- EOD will be available until the hideout feature is in the game and the it will quietly disappear.
- Developers will not give any clear date on when the EOD will disappear. Because that would make players avoid the EOD and wait for the Hideout feature.
- Hideout feature won't be functional (ability to upgrade to 10x63 stash) until late June 2018.
Leaked image of BSG staff evaluating the situation